For the next few months, Christ Family Film Productions will be posting character descriptions of the roles being auditioned in September for He Leadeth Me. Get to know the people...get to know the story. And join us in September for auditions in Fergus Falls, MN!
MAYOR JOHN WASHINGTON DOUGLAS – Age 52 – 53
- Born December 31st, 1879 in Barnwell County, South Carolina
- Son of Lt. Sanford Washington Greggs (deceased 1915) & Lillian (Haygood) Greggs (deceased 1879)
- Occupation: mayor
- Location: Mount Sterling, Illinois (Brown County)
- Personal interview: “This country is going to hell in a handbag. Our government isn’t putting money into the right places. Illinois needs to do something for itself. FDR is making promises, but Mount Sterling isn’t feeling it. How long do we need to wait until the whole state profits from his big spending? We need to fix ourselves before we all blow away with the panhandle dust.”
- Character profile: John, born to a military man, experienced the harsh realities of post-Civil War culture in the Carolinas. His family, hardened by the century’s experiences on the south eastern coast, raised John to understand the importance of defending one’s ideals. John threw himself into politics right out of high school and graduated top of his class in 1897 with hopeful political ambitions of becoming mayor, governor, and maybe even president. His hopes of joining the Carolina political scene failed, however, when a deadly family dispute interrupted his plans. He moved his wife and son to Illinois where he planted himself in the small-town government, first to hide himself and then to prove himself. He believes in quantity over quality, even at home. One son wasn’t good enough. But that’s all he could get out of her.
POINT OF INTEREST
- John is the grand-nephew of Brigadier General Johnson Hagood, Confederate States Army and 80th governor of South Carolina