- Born February 15, 1905 in Saline County, NE
- Son of: Edwin Murray Crawford & Martha Gene (Dawson) Crawford (deceased 1930)
Sue Beth Crawford born 1908 (deceased 1908)
Harold Dean Crawford born 1909
Lester Lloyd Crawford born 1910
- Occupation: teacher
- Location: Rock Valley, IA (Sioux County)
- Personal interview: “Maybe I’m supposed to be looking for a husband. I don’t know. Ma doesn’t seem to give a hoot about the fact that I haven’t given her any grandchildren. Remembering all of the children I’ve taught…I don’t think I’d ever be able to choose a name for my own baby anyway…there are too many faces already attached to the names I like...and don't. I don’t want to look at my own children and think of all the rascals, rats, and rebellions…far too exhausting to be worth it.”
- Character profile: Clara Crawford, born and raised on a rural farm in Nebraska, once had aspirations of becoming a stage performer on one of New York City’s leading stages. She’d never seen any of these performances, of course, but she figured them to be spectacular for all the fuss the church ladies made over condemning their immorality. She never told her folks about the dream. Instead, she kept the secret to herself and searched for a more local, “acceptable” stage on which to use her creative oratory skills…the neighborhood school. To this day, her lesson skits and fantastical Christmas programs are the favorite of many a Rock Valley citizen. Clara feels near perfectly content…if only they’d pay her a little more.
Gina Vandever or "Clara Anne Crawford"
Picture provided by Diane Ehlers